вторник, 2 сентября 2014 г.

Ditch the store bought Mayo!

Ditch the store bought Mayo!

I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned on this page. See more details here.


If you happen to be a newbie in the Real Foods arena, one of the simplest things you can do is to make your own condiments. Personally, I started with Mayonnaise. By mastering the basics (homemade broth, dressings, sauces, marinades, condiments, etc) you set a great foundation from which to build your healthy kitchen.


When I cleaned out our kitchen and pantry, one of the first things I threw away was our go-to mayonnaise. Most store bought Mayo is not “Real” even though the label may say so. I found this ingredient list on a popular Mayonnaise brand:


  • SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY), NATURAL FLAVORS. GLUTEN-FREE.

Three ingredients on this list are red flags. First, soybean oil. This is a highly processed oil that is most likely genetically modified. It isn't real. Second, “natural flavors.” This is a commonly used label for MSG. And last, “calcium disodium EDTA.” What the heck is that? Since I didn't recognize it as food, I threw it out. Learning how to read labels is definitely essential in transforming your kitchen. After the “red flags” I listed, my secondary thoughts concern the feed that is given to the chickens that lay those eggs (is it GMO-free? Probably not) and the salt and sugar. Exactly how much salt and sugar?


Internet searches for “Homemade Mayo” returned countless recipes. However, I noticed all contained eggs, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, and salt. In order to make this mayo nourishing, I needed to specify my ingredients. Most Real Food websites list olive oil and coconut oil as the suitable oil for mayo. I also learned that if I add whey to my mayo and allow it to lacto-ferment for several hours it adds enzymes to boost the nutrient content, and I can preserve it for several months. Nourishing Traditions states, “The lactic acid produced by the bacteria during incubation prevent the growth of other bacteria at low temperatures. Fermentation delays the oxidation of unsaturated oils, which form the basis of the [mayo], because the added bacteria consume all the oxygen. Fermentation also produces a pleasant, mildly sour taste many consumers prefer.” (page 137)


I have tried many different combinations of ingredients for homemade mayo. I have made it with lemon juice. My hubby said it was too lemon-y. I have made it with coconut oil. He said it was too coconut-y. I have used olive oil and he said it was too olive-y. I have done half olive oil and half coconut oil. I thought it was fantastic. My hubby didn't. I am telling you right now that it is one of my life's missions to find a homemade mayo recipe that he likes. Tamara has added bacon fat to her mayo. That sounds amazing and it may just be what my husband needs. I will have to try it.


Currently, I have not found a recipe that my husband loves. I do think that this particular recipe is decent, so I continue to use it. I would like to try using a refined coconut oil (no coconut essence), but I haven't gotten around to that quite yet. I realize that “unrefined” is much better than “refined” but I think refined coconut oil is much better than soybean or canola oil.


How to make homemade mayo

First, I grabbed three of the eggs that our hens left for us out of the fridge. I let these warm up to room temperature. This is VERY important. Cold eggs won't make the emulsion necessary for delicious mayo. I will say that I won't use store bought eggs to make homemade mayo. Since raw eggs will be in my mayo, I want to know exactly where they came from.


How to make homemade mayo

Once the eggs warmed up, I separated them, and added the yolks to a food processor. Next I added apple cider vinegar, salt, a bit of sugar, and pulsed it a few times to mix it all up.


How to make homemade mayo

Then it was time to add the oil. An entire cup. Once the food processor was turned on, I started slowly drizzling the oil through the chute. Friends, this takes a while. “Slow” is the keyword here. I will say that the picture above does seem a little fast to me. Typically I look for a very thin stream or drop by drop. I have heard some people using the insert that fits into the shoot to add oil. It has a tiny hole at the bottom that adds the oil bit by bit. I haven't tried this yet. By adding the oil slowly, it creates an emulsion with the egg yolks and other ingredients and whips it into a beautiful mayonnaise.


Once the oil had been added, I pulsed in a tablespoon of whey. Then, I put all of it into a pint sized mason jar and set it on my counter to let it ferment for about 7 hours. After fermenting, I stuck it in my fridge and it was ready to be enjoyed!


Does the topic of fermenting baffle you? We created a Fermenting eCourse just for you and when you sign up, we will send you a Quick Start Guide! Grab the eCourse and the guide here!


homemade mayo - www.ohlardy.com

homemade mayo - www.ohlardy.com

For more info, click here!


Original article and pictures take ohlardy.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий