пятница, 24 июня 2016 г.

How to use a Fermenting Crock – An Update!

How to use a Fermenting Crock – An Update!
how to use a fermenting crock - an update - ohlardy.com

I may receive a commission if you purchase something mentioned on this page. See more details here.


Two weeks ago, I wrote a post on how to use a fermenting crock. In case you have been wondering how things are going, its your lucky day!! I was a good girl and followed the instructions to not even peek for two weeks. I waited very patiently and on Saturday I finally got to look AND taste!


When I opened the lid, I noticed lots of good bubbles. You can see the bubbles that kind of look like foam in the picture above. Opening the lid also revealed a pleasant sauerkraut smell, so I knew things were working as they should. The sauerkraut was still submerged in the brine, held down by the handy weights.


When I reached in to grab the weights (with clean hands of course), I was surprised at how warm the brine was. Heat is a by-product of fermenting, so I shouldn't have been too surprised! It wasn't REALLY warm, just slightly warmer than room temperature.


I stuck my fork in to grab a taste! It was nice and crunchy, but not quite sour enough. It definitely tastes like sauerkraut, but it isn't ready. I was bummed that I have to wait a bit longer. I put the lid on and replaced some of the water in the air lock trough. Now I wait until next weekend, when I will sample again.


If I am a betting gal (which I sometimes am), I am thinking that this kraut will need two more weeks to be excellent. We could eat it now, but I think time will do the kraut some good here.


In the meantime, we wait patiently and perhaps start planning to have brats and reuben sandwiches on the menu!


Does the topic of fermenting baffle you? We created a Fermenting eCourse just for you and when you sign up, we will send you a Quick Start Guide! Grab the eCourse and the guide here!


how to use a fermenting crock - an update - ohlardy.com

Oh Lardy! is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


Kick start your fermenting with our FREE eCourse & Quick Start Guide! We have everything you need to get you on your way!


Related


How to Use a Fermenting Crock
How to Use a Fermenting Crock

How to clean your fermenting crock
How to clean your fermenting crock

Fermented Pickles
March 4, 2013

Oh Lardy's Guide to Fermenting Fruits and Vegetables

9a87c3db63071476855326-51332711_m.jpg

Original article and pictures take ohlardy.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий